Home FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Register Profile Log in to check PMs Log in
Chat Calendar Classified Ads Auctions Field Finder Store Finder Feedback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WARPIG.com Forum Index -> Tippmann -> BT-16 Tactical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
urded

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: BT-16 Tactical Reply with quote

My son has a BT-16 Tactical he got used. It does not fire. You can cock it and when you pull the trigger it goes forward. With the air hooked up, it does the same thing. I don't hear any air leaking out. He tried putting some oil in it. I told him maybe it needs new orings. We can't find an o-ring kit for it. We do not have much knowledge about paintball guns, so maybe it is simple to just buy individual orings, but we don't know how to figure out what we need. Seems there are bunches of different types of materials and orings that seem about the same size that are not.

The gun is similar to http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/paintguns/bt16/disassembly.shtml

We have found the owners manual online and have tried to take it apart and reassemble according to the manual, but that did not fix it.

Some post I read said it needs grease, but I only see about oil. Are they really the same thing, or not?
Thanks for any help. He really wants to get his paintball gun working.
Paintzapper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what it sounds like, the marker is not getting air from the tank or the tank is empty.

Just a couple of things to ask:
- Is the air tank full? The marker will not fire without a constant air source, and if the CO2 or HPA (two different types of air sources, this marker can use both) is empty it will also not shoot. The bolt being released and sliding forward when the trigger is pulled is normal and desired.

You can check to see if the tank has anything in it by depressing the valve pin on the tank. If nothing comes out, it is empty. HPA tanks have a pressure guage on the neck of the tank. You can check the amount of air (in psi) for these tanks this way. CO2 tanks are measured by weight, you will have to find the weight of the empty tank and subtract it from the total weight to see how many ozs are left.

- Do you see any O-rings missing when comparing to the owners manual? Usually a sign of new O-rings is a leak or for blow back markers like this one, an incomplete cycle.

- Upon disassembly, did you notice any debree inside the marker? This "junk" may be inhibiting full movement of the rear hammer, thus preventing the valve pin from being pressed.

On the note of oil/grease they are both lubricants but the viscosity is different. Usually oil is found in a liquid form in a bottle, they are cheaper and get the job done. An example:
http://www.ansgear.com/Gold_Cup_Gun_Oil_1_Oz_p/goldcupgunoil1oz.htm

Grease is found in a paste and can be found in a squeeze tube or jar like container. They are usually more expensive but have better results (in my opinion). The type you would want is DOW33, I use this regularly on all of my equipment. An example:
http://www.ansgear.com/Tippmann_1_2_oz_Marker_Grease_p/tippmannmarkergrease.5oz.htm

Typically for the BT-16, oil will suffice and you do not need to worry about grease.

Finally, I believe the BT-4 O-rings will suffice, but I would hold off purchasing unless you hear a leak or another pneumatic issue arises. Your original link to the BT-16 review gives an excellent disassembly guide and pictures of what to look for. You can reference this if necessary.

Last edited by Paintzapper on Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
urded

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The co2 tank was able to operate a spyder paintball gun without any problems. He even took off the hose that goes from in front of the trigger guard to below the pistol grip and tried the tank screwed directly into the hole in front of the trigger guard per the owner's manual. It still did not work. The tube he removed was also clear. There was the co2 escaping noise when he put the tank on, and again when he took it off.

We tried to clean the gun as good as we could tell when dissassembled it. It seemed like it had all the parts and we assembled it correctly.

I guess we will tear it apart again and pay closer attention.

Thanks for the reply.
Paintzapper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the tank is good, then thankfully there are fewer problems to deal with. the problem would then be with the valve and the rear hammer.

Sometimes the rear hammer o-ring swells up and does not allow it to press the valve pin. To verify this take out the valve and the hammer, then try and fit the hammer face into the valve and press the pin. It would be best to place the cylinder adapter inside the valve like it would if the marker were assembled. This will help prevent the valve from disassembling itself.

If you find the hammer face does not want to press into the valve past the o-ring, the hammer o-ring needs to be replaced.

Was the CO2 leak sound like it was coming from the tank or the marker? It would be odd that the marker would be leaking if the tank was removed.

If the marker is the one leaking, I would look into the valve. It may need some maintenance (cleaning, o-ring inspection and oil).
urded

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The escaping noise I was talking about was just when you are screwing on or unscrewing the tank. That happens on all paintball guns I have ever used. Sorry for the confusion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WARPIG.com Forum Index -> Tippmann All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: