Home FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Register Profile Log in to check PMs Log in
Chat Calendar Classified Ads Auctions Field Finder Store Finder Feedback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WARPIG.com Forum Index -> Paintball Talk -> How to stop no shows at my field????
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: How to stop no shows at my field???? Reply with quote

We opened today for limited play. 4 of our 20 fields on line. Waiting for the rest of the snow to go. But I had a call from a 4 player group that wanted to have a private game. I figured with the start of the season I'll do it for them. Now they called at 1PM and wanted to start at 2PM. I told them I'd get the gear ready and called a ref in just for their group. She drove 25 miles to come in. Then they never showed. I called them back twice and it went right to message.
Pretty disrespectful to someone who was going to do them a bit of a favor. I've always tried to do the very best in customer service for my people. But I'm getting tired of this POO! Many of the kids are too young to have a credit card so a deposit is going to be hard. I really don't know what to do. Can you imagine how upset they would be if they booked and came in and I told them not today I changed my mind go away!

I guess they never learned any manners? I wouldn't be upset if they had just called and said things have changed. But I guess planning a whole hour ahead is beyond their ability.

Any ideas to help out with this problem???
Paintzapper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed the same thing with those my age and younger. It seems like the plans they set are just as free to flow on by without notice as the wind.

I know my local field requires a non refundable deposit for private groups for such an instance that you just had. If they are not willing or able to put down a deposit, then how committed are they to actually stopping by? Regardless of their age, their parents have credit cards and are usually the source of their paintball funds.

You do have a business to run, if this nonsense is starting to effect your bottom line and employees then some changes may need to be placed.
dutchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt it's effecting my business, because it's effecting my attitude. Today I'm working on a dining area in our building for the players. I'm putting in two sets of tables each will seat 10 players each. I'm installing a second AC unit so we can keep their break area a comfortable 70 degrees all summer long.

Last season we installed a second bathroom for the players so they don't have to wait in any line. All this stuff is for them, and it doesn't make me a single penny.

Why should I bother to do all this for my people if they can show me no more respect then they do. 20-30% of my groups will be no shows. I remember starting out and struggling to even get tarps up for players to get out of the sun or rain. Now we've got a first rate facility, as good as almost any other in the country and the players take it all for granted. Maine is down to about 5 facilities left in business.

I'm just struggling with this right now. Once the good players start coming in it will make me feel better. Many folks do enjoy what we have to offer and are greatful. But there is always the others that will never be happy and offer no help in building anything worth while. You know the kind, where free is too much.

I figured I'd last another 10 years and make it to 40 years of operating my field. But I could walk away right now and not look back. Too bad.
Paintzapper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try posting this on MCarter as it is only me on Warpig nowadays. I know several people on MCarter will have some good feedback as they own fields themselves.
dutchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I was looking over the player logs we keep for the last several years at least we have seen an interesting trend. Far more then 1/2 of players are "purpose based" players. By that I mean a Birthday party or company outing or some one's getting married.

The day of the player that plays as a fun hobby seems to be on the decline.

Maybe the economy is the problem?

Maybe our social media has made us less social?

I don't know. but the fall out will be marker sales will drop and used gear will flood the market. Why buy if you're only going to play once a year?

This will hurt the scenarios and the big games.

We have players right now when they call ask how many others are there. If you don't have 10-15 for them to mix with they don't come to play. If everyone starts doing that there will be no first group so one will play!

The beastie is changing yet again and we have to figure how to get in front of it before it leaves us behind, or dies!

Just my thoughts
Paintzapper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you do have a point with the social media making it less "efficient" to go and hang out in person when you can chat with all your friends at the same time while on the toilet. No need to experience things with friends when you can just share videos, pictures and memes with them instead.

I have already seen one of my local fields (Wayne's World of Paintball) have a massive reduction in scenario games in the past several years. They even had to cancel the last event due to inadequate preregistration turnout. I think they are now down to 2-3 events a year from the 5-7 I remember seeing. On the up side, several other fields in the area have opened up their own events at comparable prices.

Most of the players I see for recball are those who will probably only play a couple times or burn out in a year or so. They are an ever changing group of people that mostly have no intention to keep going or even purchase gear. Those who burn out are usually the ones to buy new and used gear and sell it off later. I know I have been reducing my inventory as I don't have the time to run around on the field as much as I use to.

I can understand the people who want a larger group to play with, I know I went to a field for some rec play and there were only a handful of players. Most of them didn't want to have me because my pump (custom 05 prostock pump with nice frame and such) looked too scary and my black shirt said "Paintzapper" on the back. They didn't care that I had to cock it each time, I wasn't allowed to play with them. Thankfully a few other people who were scary looking came and I threw some paint with them the remainder of the day.
dutchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand and agree with what you're saying.

We use to hold 3-4 tournys 2 scenario games and we ran a league for rec players each season. But we had the guys coming in so we could organize it. If I had 1200 players in by the first of July and we were telling them about the up coming scenario game we had no problem fielding 70-100 players for it. But without the guys coming into the field on a semi regular basis we can't put the word out so it works. It's always when you get a huge group call me and I'll come play. Truth be know if I have 100 players on field and my day is crazy busy. I likely won't take the time to call 2-3 guys and invite them to come in. I've got enough to deal with to give the big group their moneys worth. The player has a little work to do for himself. Frankly if I have the ability to add 5 players to a game if I call around, where does it more good. Taking 100 to 105 or taking a smaller group like 9 to 14 players. I need the help with the small groups that are struggling to get numbers up so they can have more fun. Not the huge game where 5 more players won't even be noticed.

I can see us moving away from rec players and just dealing with the purpose based groups that call ahead and make appointments. I hate to say it, but up here the rec player is losing all his power. He can't get a group, he won't mix with small groups Those are both things he can do to help a field give a better quality of play for all customers.

I've advised what few experienced players I've still got to not bring in the big guns or the jerseys. If they dress like a rec player and carry a Tippmann 98 most groups will take them in. Once in these guys do fine and the other players get to like them. But you're spot on I've seen players fear a WalMart gun because it was shinny and blue. All they know is it's different and that means you must be a professional or a Navy Seal!
Paintzapper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree on the shiny looking markers, I actually have been planning on making a sleeper marker. Just something that actually performs and handles really well but looks like utter -tricycle-. I have a Mokal Mirage I have been sitting on and contemplating on fixing up for this purpose.
dutchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had pretty good luck with getting my experienced guys to use the rentals. Once they did that and wore just normal cloths they were able to mix in just fine. One thing I did have to stop was them trying to rebuild the rental marker before they went out. You know a better barrel, a power hopper a compressed air tank. Anything to get the edge. Then I pointed out if they were as good as they thought they should have no problem handling themselves well in a bunch of rental players. Kind of shamed them into it. But it worked well. Now even staff that isn't on duty can grab a rental and jump in and no one has an issue. Think of it as camo but in a different way. I get such a kick out of watching a almost newbie with all his decked out gear (which he doesn't know how to adjust the velocity on) bragging about how great he is. Then he runs up against one of these guys standing in with a rental and they own him for that day. If they brag, if they trash talk, they make themselves targets for these guys to hunt. If they get along fine and are just here to have a blast they stay off the radar and these guys show them no special attention. Over all it's been a good influence on the field the guys that would have been beat on now have a few "guardian angels: helping them out.
dutchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, were off to a great start.

So far in April we have booked 3 games for a total of 68 players

We have had 2 players show up.

Oddly enough they went out and played 1 on 1 and had a pretty good time. They helped us with our newest speedball field by checking angles and distances between bunkers. It came out pretty good. Now if only there were any players left.
Paintzapper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! Just 2 showed up?! Seriously, people need to learn how to plan ahead.
dutchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, another weekend with pretty good weather and no players. Hmmm. I did have an off field player stop in and buy a case of paint, he's grumbling because now our local Wal Mart has dropped paintball stuff so he has to drive 100 miles to find paint. Or drive the 6 miles and buy it from me.

My off field stuff is good and we sell it at 2 cents a ball. This guy really thinks of fields as the enemy and he doesn't want anything to do with any field?

He did ask me if I was looking for anymore refs, he wanted a job. Won't use the field, doesn't believe in what we're doing, but wants me to hire him???? I sure don't need workers if I don't have players!

I really don't understand people!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WARPIG.com Forum Index -> Paintball Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: