Home FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Register Profile Log in to check PMs Log in
Chat Calendar Classified Ads Auctions Field Finder Store Finder Feedback
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WARPIG.com Forum Index -> Paintball Talk -> How to stop no shows at my field????
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutchman

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather up here has been spotty but we've had some good day. The weather is why we put the indoor back online as an alternative. But the Mag fed play we are using on it seems to be no draw. I guess I missed on that one. We run a $5 game which gets you the field fee the marker and 3 clips with 36 paintballs. So for as little $5 a player can see if they like the sport.

I just feel do disconnected with my customers. I guess I'm getting to old to relate to them and my staff doesn't have that skill set yet. The young folks have changed and I'm trying my best to adapt but so far I'm not getting there.
dutchman

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we got a group on the indoor and got results I still don't understand.

5 minute game with respond so you can come back in we score by the body count. 36 balls per player. Playing 2 on 2 most players shot less then then 12 rounds.

We saw 2 guys hunker down at the back and wait to be attacked. They moved 20 feet when the game started and went to root.

We add 2 more players and still no one burned more then 20 rounds.

Added 3 minutes to the game and still no one shot all 36 rounds.

Last game play until paint is gone. Folks shot a little more, game was over in 3-4 minutes 2 kills total in the game.

Many said it was too intense, to scary. Most wanted more paint to "waste" with so little ammo they were frightened to engage even though both sides were even on balls.

Starting to rethink the floor lay out. Maze is too scary visibility is limited and being flanked and hit from the rear to frightening for todays players.

Maybe less concealment and more open space, but then they will complain they can't move without being shot. ???????

Oh for some old timers.
Paintzapper

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe shorter bunkers? I can see the picture of the field layout and I know I would have a field day on it, but the newer players may have a harder time due to lack of experience and the great deal of the unknown. If too much of the field is blocked off then you can't tell where to go if you are new.

I have seen lots of fields have shorter bunkers in the middle and "rooms" or "buildings" along the sides. This allows you to be able to see most of the field but yet can find plenty of places to hide. Maybe a center building or something but being able to see and move around at the same time can provide some comfort.

Maybe an objective for them to go for like slap sticks or something so the players have a common goal in mind instead of just hiding and hunting.

No need to make it speedball, but maybe 3 slap sticks. One 1/3 of the way from the middle towards each side and 1-2 in the middle. This way they know that hiding in the back will do almost nothing to winning the game and know they should at least cover their team somehow.
dutchman

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right, the field layout is too challenging. If I go with shorter walls I'm afraid they will shoot over the top to get the player on the other side. Lots of risk on shots that close. Right now were 8 foot high and they can't go over the top. But if they can look over it, they can shoot over it.

Years ago we had a layout of 4 rectangles in a diamond pattern and you could move around them on all sides, maybe going back to that would be better? It worked pretty well, but after a few times on the field it was a little boring.

My God, they were intimidate with just the field layout what if I had of hit them with the strobes the music and the fog machine?????

I think you're on the right track and I'll see if I can design something for newbies to enjoy.

Thanks for your advice you are a big help!
Paintzapper

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to be of assistance!

You could have something the width of a truck tire in the middle, this would prevent someone from simply sticking their barrel over the top and popping someone at point blank.

I really like the bunkers used in these indoor fields:

Inflatable but still look cool

barrels and hyperball are never a bad idea

Sandbags always look cool, not so much the sandy floor though
[/img]

You could be that cool guy that has black lights!

dutchman

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the building front layout. I asked one of refs and they were dead against it. I don't know if there is anything that will please everyone. But I'll work on it. I was thinking of building fronts and a black light theme like old Transelvania. Go with vampire and werewolf type stuff? Just a thought.
Paintzapper

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the ref against it because of it being more challenging to ref or because the players may not like it?

Also keep in mind, the kids and newer players may just hunker down in a building and never move. Best to put those further up the field Smile
dutchman

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was worried about it not being challenging enough for the experienced players. I think what I have to find is a simple or easy layout for the field, but have different game formats that can make it challenging for the more experienced players and simple for the newbie.

I'm thinking of moving forward with the new layout. What I'm looking at is to rows of "store fronts" running North to South Behind each of them is a 6 foot wide hallway so players can move the entire length passing by doorways and windows as they do.

These fronts will be separated by about 40 feet in between. What I want to do is hang flags about 12 feet out in front of each side. I could put 8 to a side. That way the Newbies could just sit down and try to snipe each other out of the windows and doorways, while the experienced players have to retrieve the flags and take them too one end of their store front.

The different formats might make the field fit both types of players. There is a real worry however. The Tippmann 98 when converted to Mag Fed is at risk. We've already destroyed one when a player caught the mag on a corner and broke the loops off the side of the 98 that the feed adapter goes into. The mags are so long they have a lot of leverage. When they get bumped they will break at the weakest point. That seems to be the receiver of the 98.

Anyway, That's what I'm thinking about right now. But I'm still open for input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WARPIG.com Forum Index -> Paintball Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: