Home FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Register Profile Log in to check PMs Log in
Chat Calendar Classified Ads Auctions Field Finder Store Finder Feedback
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WARPIG.com Forum Index -> Paintball Talk -> Discounts?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Discounts? Reply with quote

Here's a couple of quick question. Everyone loves a discount. But which will do the field more good. If you give 10% off for a group of 10. Or if you give a discount for regular usage like every 10th visit free, (limited to average spending) Or 50% off every 5th visit for a player?

I always get asked for group discounts even when there's only 4-5 in the group. Or military discount, police discount, big shooter discount, I'm breathing discount. Well maybe not the last one yet but I'm expecting it any day.

Are people so easily fooled that if I mark my prices up 20% so I can give everyone a discount of 20% What's the sense, why not just give people the best deal you can everyday?
Paintzapper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The norm down here is a discount for a group of 10 or more, the idea being it is easier to process them through checkout and, due to them being a group, easier to ref. Anything less than that is regular price.

Individuals are on their own, unless they can show that it is their birthday then free admission at most of the local fields down here.

Military and police discounts are also very common down here with proof of active enlistment/service. Very rarely do I see any servicemen/women on the field but they do poke their heads in every now and then.

"Big shooter discount" is applied if you buy a case vs individual bags as all the fields down here sell individual bags of 500 at a higher rate than a full case of 2k.

You can give them the best deal possible and they will still expect better. You have to stay profitable to stay open, I have seen too many "nice" fields go under because they let people in for cheap. Don't undercut yourself Dutch, no one wins in the end.
dutchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you think of a 5.5% discount for cash instead of any kind of group or bulk discount?
Paintzapper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen people do that, it works too Smile It just gets a bit annoying at lower cost purchases. Your gonna need to keep some extra change around Smile
dutchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extra change isn't a problem. We have two cash registers at the check out. Also a computer program that totals and tracks all sales for each customer. It gives me a total without tax and then a total after Maine's 5.5% sales tax is applied.

All I have to do is recalculate the sales tax for the state on the cash sales. Not too hard to do that. But I'm paying several percent to credit card companies for the customer to use his card. Why not give a guy a discount that is saving me money?

I think it will work!
Paintzapper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were having to pay 5.5% to the credit card peeps! I would still apply tax, but cut out the cost of credit card services.

In short, charge for tax accordingly but pass the savings of paying with cash over card to the customer.
dutchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question, is the 50 cal market worth chasing. By that I meant\ the young kids that can't play real paintball because they are too young or to afraid to take the field?

I've brought my Automags back out of retirement and was able to get them to run at 200 fps without trouble. Wouldn't that do for a low impact substitute? At least on my indoor.

I'm beginning to feel like the industry just wants to sell me more gear for this and it's going to sit on the shelf and collect dust.

Thoughts?
Paintzapper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 50 cal market could be worth while, but you have to furiously advertise it here on the east coast. Most people know about it on the west coast (as it is already heavily advertised) and know to seek it out. Here we mainly know 68 cal and most of the games I see running are 68 cal.

The down side of 50 cal is that most people already know of, support and want to play "normal" 68 cal paintball. If you can advertise the low impact variant for your indoor field and market it to anyone and everyone (full on family friendly game) then it should work.

From my understanding the benefits of 50 cal is not for the younger age groups but those just wanting to dabble in paintball but heard it hurts. 50 cal solves most of the pain issues and still allows you to have a bunch of fun.

If it were me, I would run and market your mags as the current low impact variant and if it turns out to be successful then maybe dip into the 50 cal. Use what you have and if you feel it prudent, add an extra "option" to your arsenal.

And yes, the current market for any consumer grade item (be it phones, cars or paintball gear) is buy buy and just for the hell of it buy.
dutchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a test group coming in this Sunday. There will be a 9 year old girl in the mix. family game. I'm going to run the Automags at 200 on the indoor. If she does okay with that I'll advertise it as

"Are you as tough as a 9 year old girl?" hehe

Most of my players are novice or dabbled in it a little. There isn't the knowledge base up here that other states have.

Seriously, I've got private gear players that have no clue how to adjust their velocity. I'm talking a Tippmann A-5 not some electro with 214 modes to go through. Only about 10% own a barrel bag or plug. Many have to rent tanks or goggles. But they own a marker!!!!!

I don't think my market is quit the average of the country.
Paintzapper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure they don't short stroke the mags Smile

I guess in your situation, you have to adjust to your own market. Let me know how the indoor mag setups work for ya!
dutchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magfed was a total failure. In the 7 months we were able to offer it only 3 games took place. 2 indoor where they were to afraid to move due to lack of ammo I think and one outdoor where they destroyed a 98 by sliding into a bunker and breaking the mag off the gun. The loops that the pins go into on the receiver let go.

Magfed might be fine for a player with experience looking for a challenge. But as a rental it has issues. Plus they love to throw the mags on the ground or floor when they change out. So that gets a bit of dirt and sand in the mag which you have to clean out.

I thought it would be a good idea, but I made the mistake of looking at it and saying what would I like. My level of experience does not represent what my average customer has. SO I made the wrong choice.
Paintzapper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile probably should have said let me know how the automags work out for ya.

Sucks that magfed was a bummer for ya, but you are most likely right that for the general renter community it wasn't ideal due to the added challenge of less paint.
dutchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we test drove the low impact 68 cal. Tried on the indoor at 220 with a 9 year old girl in the mix. That went fine. So after a few games we went outside at 260 and she took 4 hits in the next few games and had no issues at all. The closest was about 20 feet. We made sure no one bunkered her and gave her a bunch to the head at 2 feet. She had a blast and wants to come back.

So if a 9 year old girl can play 68 at 260 why do we need 50 cal????
Paintzapper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the initial shock of 68 at full velocity that unnerves some people. 50cal is the introductory into the sport so you can actually see how fun it can be with less worry about the pain. Once you see how enjoyable the games can be, the minor annoyance of pain doesn't matter anymore.
dutchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your conclusions, the full speed 68 is scary for them and there is no shortage of players sharing their bloody bruises for the world to see.

I have felt for years that we can do fine at less speed. Some don't agree, but if we don't get more folks to play it won't matter what speed we use. No one will be playing.

I've argued with folks that think their guns can't run at low speed. Most can. If you want to take a page from Reball where bounces count. You can get 68 down well below any reasonable pain threshold. But I've heard guys complain reball hurts to much, Well at 300 it will, but if you're shooting a projectile that doesn't break, all you need is enough speed to get it down the field.

Sometimes I think we miss the obvious in the sport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WARPIG.com Forum Index -> Paintball Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: