Home FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Register Profile Log in to check PMs Log in
Chat Calendar Classified Ads Auctions Field Finder Store Finder Feedback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WARPIG.com Forum Index -> MilSim -> Two way radios
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldmike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Two way radios Reply with quote

Anyone out there have some recommendations for two way radios? I used a set of Maxon FX-49 radios but both have broken down. I really liked the microphone in the earpiece and remote "push to talk" feature with these radios. Before I go looking, I thought I would find out from some scenario players to see what they are using.

If you kindly let me know what you use (model and manufacturer), and why you like what you are using, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Mike
Lone_Star_Shadow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobra makes several excellent sets, durable and simple to master. Not too bad on the budget, either.
JesterTLS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally used the 8 mile range Cobra GMRS/RMS. I liked those pretty well. They died after about three years of use, but they were treated pretty badly. I bought a set of I believe 15 mile range Motorola. I havent actually used them much since I bought them two years ago. The few times I actually ran a radio since then, they did pretty good. The Cobra's were a bit more user friendly in my opinion. I ran them with the FireFox throat mics. I liked those mics fairly well, but the wire pulled out of the ear bud fairly easily. So if you go for those, be careful.

On the GMRS/RMS remember they are line of site. So if you are in the mountains or rolling hills or thick forrest, they arent awesome no matter what range the package says on it...
Oldmike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lone Star and Jester,

I'll look at the Cobra products to see what they have. If ear-microphones are not available, I guess throat mics are the next best thing. Thanks again for your feedback.

Mike
Oldmike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Two way radios Reply with quote

Since my beginning post, I have looked at some sites with throat and ear mic set-ups. One is http://www.ixradio.com/ . They market a throat mic called the IXRadio XTM85R-G among others. Anther is http://www.ixcessory.com which also markets several throat mics. If anyone has any experience with either of these companies or their products, or has recommendations for similar products I'd sure appreciate hearing about it. Thanks
pigtech
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two throat mic systems I've used are from Firefox and Iasus.

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/electronics/firefox/index.shtml

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/electronics/iasus/

Those are the objective reviews - my subjective views is - I like the set-up and feel of the Iasus better, and it sends clearer audio with the dual pickups, but the earbud on the Firefox delivers better volume to the ear.

I've tried a number of FRS and GMRS radios. GMRS and FRS share several frequencies, the difference is GMRS has a higher power limit, so it can transmit further. Since every radio I've seen of these broadcasts at the maximum allowable power for their classification, in my experience the performance has been so close that none seem better than the others. From my point of view it all comes down to features - what has the easiest to access controls and convenience of things like rechargeable batteries included, and charging bases, those kind of things.

FRS radios are license free. Operation of a GMRS radio requires a license which costs about a hundred bucks, though the license is not required for purchase, and the odds of getting hit by lightning are probably much higher than getting caught using a GMRS radio without a license.
DaveA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like the throat mics that we tried out, mostly because I'm a real crawler and the mic would shift around too easily or was uncomfortable around my neck, like a noose or something...
I'm trying to rig a JT universal comm set to NOT be set to VOX, by installing a momentary ON switch into the mix. If it works that's a very comfortable system with the speakers providing excellent sound. The Mic is the tricky part.
Oldmike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like throat mics work well with "upright" players but could be a problem with crawlers or anyone prone. So does that make the ear mic a better choice for those who play / stay low?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WARPIG.com Forum Index -> MilSim All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: